Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 6: 9/28/09

I'd taken a couple of days off from the vigil to catch up on my rest and spend some quality time with the family. It was hard to stay away because I know the 40 days will be over sooner than we think and I want to do my part.

I took a 10p shift. It was a really good night in many ways. The liquor store across the street closes at 10 so the foot traffic is lighter than earlier in the evening. I noticed the bus driver that went by several times offered us a friendly wave each pass. Bless his soul.

It was a cool night that I shared with our resident cowboy, Bob. As we began evening prayer we were approached by a familiar face. The young man we had helped on Day 2 returned to thank us for calling 911 for him. He did get his wallet and military ID back and the perps were apprehended (I always wanted to use the word "perps" in a story). Unfortunately he was also drunk yet again.

He explained that he'd known the people who robbed him from treatment and couldn't understand how they could do such a thing to anyone. He also admitted that unless he changed the direction of his own life, he may find himself doing the same sort of thing.

Eventually, he came around to talk more about what was troubling him. He had done two tours in Iraq and lost several friends including his best friend killed in action. He wears a bracelet in remembrance of his friend. Tears filled his eyes as his mind seemed to drift back to those days. God Bless him and all who have served and sacrificed so much.

He said he hadn't been to church since he was 12 years old. I offered to take him sometime. He sheepishly said that he would like that. I'm thinking a dose of Newman Center mass would be good. He's also gone to the VA for assistance. Bob and I also tried to talk him into getting involved with a Veteran's association. He's in desperate need of a support group that truly understands him. The same can be said of us all.

We finished our evening prayer. I got his telephone number. I hope he answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment